What lack of maintenance can do.
Some homeowners think think that by installing a fully tiled shower there will be no maintenance required….after all tiles are like glass so nothing sticks to them right? Wrong!
Tiled showers require much more maintenance than acrylic shower boxes. Minerals in the water supply as well as soaps and other chemicals can etch the surface of the tile or stone, oils and body fats provide a perfect breeding ground for mould and bacteria, as does the warm moist atmosphere left over from daily use.
This shower was only three years old believe it or not. It clearly had never been rinsed down let along properly cleaned once in a while, and required some heavy duty magic by GroutPro to bring it back to as new condition.
We expect to be back to this one again in the future, but a reoccurance can be avoided by some simple daily processes:
- Make sure your bathroom has an effective extraction fan…and use it.
- Dry off your shower after each use to remove the water from the surfaces.
- Get your grout professionally sealed so it is no longer porous.
- Use a PH neutral cleaner every week to remove soap build up and other contaminants.
- Don’t use so called “spray and walk away” cleaners as they will etch the surface of your tiles.